Decided. Formas announces a grant funding call to support the costs of organizing scientific conferences and workshops (below called “meetings”) during 2018-2019 within Formas all areas of responsibility. Formas prioritizes meetings held in Sweden. Total budget for the call is SEK 2 million.
Funding that can be applied for
The grant may be used to cover organizational costs, for example meeting venue. The grant can also be used to cover travel and accommodation costs for a limited number of, primarily foreign, speakers. The grant can not be used for salary costs for organizers or invited speakers. The grant can neither be used to cover overhead costs used to support registration costs for conference participants.
Size of grant and project duration
The guideline amounts for grant funding are a maximum of SEK 200 000 for a larger meeting (more than 200 participants) and a maximum of SEK 30 000 for a smaller meeting (fewer than 30 participants).
The project can be a maximum of 15 months and at the earliest start on 1 October 2018. The meeting has to take place within the project duration.
Who can apply?
A doctoral degree is not a requirement when applying for funding to organize meetings. The administrating organization may only be a Swedish university, University College, or a governmental agency with a research mandate.
What the application must contain
- Information about the meeting and its scientific purposes and how these contribute to research within Formas' areas of responsibility.
- A description of the scientific committee, including titles, affiliation and relevant competences. Also describe the organizational committee and the contributions of its different members.
- A list of invited speakers, including titles, affiliation and relevant competence. Also describe why they are relevant for the purpose of the meeting.
- A description of the value of the meeting for communication, collaboration and novelty within the research area(s).
- The anticipated number of participants.
- A time and place of the meeting, as well as budget and the CV of the applicant(s).
Application in Prisma
Describe the project under the following headings in Prisma:
A brief and clear description of the content and purpose of the meeting.
Information about the scientific purpose of the meeting and how it contributes to research within Formas' areas of responsibility
Describe the scientific purpose of the meeting and how it contributes to research within Formas' areas of responsibility. Also describe to what extent the meeting will concern these areas. Gender aspects should be considered where relevant.
A description of the scientific committee and the organisational committee
List-members of the scientific committee and the organizational committee if the conference/work- shop is expected to be greater than 30 participants. State name, title, affiliation and a brief summary of the competences of the members and how they contribute to the meeting.
Invited speakers at the conference/participants in the workshop, and their contribution
List the invited speakers: State name, title, organisation and a brief summary of competences and why they are relevant for the meeting.
A description of the value of the conference for communication, collaboration and novelty for the research area
Make sure to consider gender aspects where relevant.
The time and place of the meeting and the anticipated number of participants
Summarize briefly in a list.
Specify the amount that is applied for from Formas. Running costs can for instance be traveling expenses for invited speakers and other costs related to organizing meetings such as food and meeting rooms. In the field description, specify the expenses.
Formas does not grant overhead in this call, nor salary costs for organizers or invited speakers or participants. Costs for participation, such as registration fees, are not covered by this call.
Select the subject area and add a subheading. Then select at least one SCB code with two sub-levels to create the combined code (a maximum of three combined SCB codes can be selected). Finally, select at least one, and at most three, key word(s) that describe the project.
Upload an appendix with a detailed budget describing how costs have been calculated and distributed across different funding sources. Show the entire budget for the conference. Under the Budget tab in Prisma enter the sum being applied for from Formas (see more information under the heading Budget).
Grant administrating organisations
Select your grant administrating organisation and add the project department or institute. Read more about the Formas requirements for grant administrating organisations below.
No choice available. The review panel is selected by Formas.
Participating researchers and participating administrators are invited to participate in the application via Prisma.
- Employment positions - at least one employment position must be entered
- Postdoctoral positions - a maximum of three postdoctoral positions may be entered, but are not mandatory as a research education is not a requirement.
- Research exchange positions - not relevant for this call.
- Research career breaks - not required for this application.
- Education - a research education is not a requirement for this call.
- Additional merits may be included if relevant to confirming the competence of the applicant to organise the meeting.
A maximum of five publications for the applicant and participating researchers can be uploaded, but are not required.
Formas reviews the applications for conferences and workshops. Where relevant the applications are also evaluated by external reviewers.
The application is evaluated according to:
- The composition of the scientific committee and its degree of independence from the meeting organisers. This is evaluated in relation to the size of the meeting.
- The international aspect of the meeting, in relation to its scientific purpose(s).
- The meeting's explicitly expressed contribution to advancement and novelty within the research area. The explicitly expressed value of the meeting for communication and collaboration within the area.
Formas prioritises meetings held in Sweden. Meetings must relate to Formas areas of responsibility. Applications for multidisciplinary meetings are encouraged.
When funding is awarded for a meeting it is expected that the organiser announces the meeting in a suitable manner and clearly acknowledges that Formas has provided funding for the meeting. Decision is expected to be taken by Formas Scientific council on September 2018. The decisions are usually published the same day or at the latest the day after the meeting on Formas.se. Decisions about grant awards are not subject to appeal.
Reporting of projects awarded funding
Each project awarded funding must submit a project report to Formas in the form of a financial summary in compliance with the decision. Read more about this in General instructions, below.
Kenneth Nilsson, Research Administrator, Formas
Telephone: +46 (0)8-775 40 40
Mobile: +46 (0)72-718 94 38
Sara Paglia, Research Administrator, Formas
Telephone: +46 (0)8-775 41 09
Mobile: +46 (0)72-451 33 55